Search This Blog

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Letter 4: Not In Your State/Country

Dear NYC,

I have to admit. When I first booked my ticket, I did not know what to expect. I've been talking about flying over to your side of the country for quite sometime now. Everyone is afraid of the unknown and I just did not know what you had in store for me. Little did I know, you had great things lined up.

There was never a dull moment. There were so many places to go, people to see and things to eat. You truly live up to the name of "the city that never sleeps" because I hardly got too but at the same time who wanted to? Waking up at the crack of dawn and beating the sun home had to be best because rain or shine, I wanted to soak you in. Although I was extremely exhausted, I just could not get enough. You understood my life and showed me how I could fit in. Your lights inspired me, your landmarks made me more appreciative, your music lifted my spirits and your locals left me hopeful.

I love my home but there is just so much more to see in this world. I've dreamed of stepping foot on your grounds and now that I finally have, you've opened my eyes to much more. I've grown up in a place that's rich of culture. However New York, you are wealthy as well. Not only are you financially wealthy but are wealthy of culture that is statured to your own history and are wealthy of a population blend that's hard to deny. My favorite part had to be Brooklyn. It made me feel at home and I felt like I belonged there, like I understood the life stories of the neighbors. Many of the mothers that I've bumped into there, I can tell that they are working hard to set food on the table. I can tell that the fathers are trying to work extra shifts just to make ends meet and I know that the kids there are trying to strive in school so that their parents' sacrifices are not going unnoticed. How can I tell that you ask? Because I was one of those kids. If I ever have a daughter, I'm seriously naming her Brooke because Brooklyn is where I fell in love with you.

Jay-Z was not lying when he said that you were the "concrete jungle were dreams are made of" because being there with you made me realize my dreams and where I want to be in life. I'm young with big dreams and I hope to return at your doorstep to make them come true. I had to empty out my luggage the other day and it was bittersweet. I may have had to empty out my luggage but there are so many things that I have learned on that trip that I could never empty out of my heart. I love you and miss you NYC and a piece of me is still with you. So keep that piece of me safe, don't wait up for me and don't dim those lights because I'll be back and I'll be ready for all of the other things that you will have ready for me.

With love,
Your Hawaii Girl

..."I said hello BROOKLYN but baby I hope you neva say goodbye to me. I said Hello Brooklyn. Baby you're so damn fine to me and I remember the time, place, & the weather ON THE DAY YOU SAID HI TO ME"...

No comments:

Post a Comment